Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Out With the New, In With the Old

Starcraft 2 is fucked. There is no other way to put it. I feel the game is a complete let down. Granted, it's in beta right now, but so much needs to change by it's July release, I just don't see how they can fix it. I'm not going to go into details... any of the popular forums explain it enough.

So, to get my gaming fix, I'm kicking it old school. So... here are the reviews for the games I've finished this past week.


MEGA MAN 3

Classic Mega Man game play, with the introduction of Rush and Protoman. Rush is Mega Man's robotic companion that can provide additional support such as a spring to jump to higher spaces (Rush Coil), a jet to fly around the screen (Rush Jet), or a submersible to move freely in water (Rush Marine). Protoman occasionally appears to fight you, although I'm never really sure why. His character origin is somewhat explained in the end credits.

If you like the Mega Man series, can't go wrong here. Which leads me to...



MEGA MAN 4

More Mega Man. The main villian this time around is a Dr. Cossack and eight more robots. Rush is here again, but his Rush Jet is gimped. It only allows you to fly in a straight line from his point of set up. There is a new addition in Eddie (aka "Fliptop") who periodically appears and tosses a power up of some kind your way. Protoman is absent for the most part.

Again, typical Mega Man action, if that's your bag.





NINJA GAIDEN

I'm playing all these games on an NES emulator. That said, I don't think this game can be completed without "save state". This game hates you. This game hates your family. This game hates itself. I had to save and restore my way through the entire game and don't feel any cheaper for doing so because it is so damn difficult.

You're a ninja and you're out to find out who killed your father. You're pulled into a conspiracy involving the CIA, demon statuettes that look like xenomorphs from Aliens and an evil wizard named Jaquio. All of them want to kill you. And they will, again and again and again.

Still a cool game just for what Tecmo did with the cutscenes on the NES, so if you couldn't cut it on the original console, maybe you can now that you can save it anywhere you want. And you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment