Sunday, May 2, 2010

Movie Reviews

Saw two movies this past week : Kick-Ass and the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street. Here's my thoughts, spoiler free.

Kick-Ass - I enjoyed this one quite a bit, but it wasn't as awesome as I thought it was going to be. I really wanted to see more heroics and less "down time". On top of that, the real hero(ine) of the movie was Hit Girl. Chloe Moretz stole the show and was a certifiable bad ass. I've gotten real sour to Nicholas Cage, but he didn't detract from the movie to much and I got a little bonus out of his character in one of the more action oriented scenes. Aaron Johnson as the title character was good as the reluctant Kick-Ass, but as I mentioned before, I wanted to see less of his civie life and more of him... well... kicking ass. I still recommend the movie, though, and hope a sequel delivers more action.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - I'm going to start out by saying I love Freddy. I've seen a lot of people poo-poo'ing this movie, but Freddy was the man back in the 80's, as far as I'm concerned. He had personality, a wicked sense of humor and he just liked to fuck with you. The new Freddy seemed neutered to me. Sure, he was darker, but he didn't toy with his victims to much. That said, I thought the movie was a lot better than some of the reviews I've been reading. I wouldn't say it was great, but I also don't think it's the stinker it's being made out to be. I liked that they expanded on his back story more, but I hope if they make sequels, they give Freddy his humor back. I'm going to have give this one a "Meh".

No comments:

Post a Comment